Patrick Tevlin Music
Patrick Tevlin Bio
Patrick Tevlin - Trumpet, Vocal
Patrick Tevlin’s hot New Orleans-style trumpet leads The Happy Pals New Orleans Party Orchestra, New Orleans Rhythm, The Magnolia Brass Band and other groups performing in the Toronto area and around the world.
Tevlin's groups have recorded often, always to rave reviews, such as “This is New Orleans jazz at its best.” (JazzReview.com, USA). Working in the studio, Tevlin has appeared on many other artists' recordings as well. He has toured extensively in Europe, and been featured as a guest artist with groups in France and the UK.
On his first trip to New Orleans, in 1978, Patrick met trumpet great Kid Thomas Valentine and promptly fell in love with the New Orleans style. He lives in Toronto, but his soul lives in New Orleans.
- The Happy Pals are a seven-piece jazz band playing authentic old-time New Orleans party music. They’ve been featured every Saturday at Toronto’s legendary Grossman’s Tavern for over forty years, and have attracted literally generations of fans.The music is stomping “revival” jazz from the Preservation Hall period, mixing jazz classics with tunes by Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and many others. The Happy Pals have toured festivals in Europe extensively.
- Tevlin Swing (aka New Orleans Rhythm) is a small hot swing group
featuring trumpeter Patrick Tevlin, leader
of Toronto’s Happy Pals, alongside one of Toronto's finest young
singers, Hannah Archibald, and backed up by a rhythm section of piano and string bass. As desired, Tevlin Swing can be enlarged to include clarinet, drums, guitar, you name it.
- Toronto’s Magnolia Brass Band, founded by Tevlin and Kid Bastien in 1980 is a street band often seen in parades around the Toronto area, and annually in New Orleans’ French Quarter Festival. And yes, they do play at funerals.
- The Patrick Tevlin Blues Band is a quartet of trumpet, electric guitar, bass and drums, playing classic New Orleans Blues and R&B. Boogie. Real. Slow. To tunes by the likes of Fats Domino and Ray Charles.
- Frankie Foo and the Yoyo Smugglers is a dance band playing Jamaican, British and original ska. The Foo are led by altoist Toby Hughes, and feature Patrick Tevlin on trumpet.
High-res photos (right-click to download)
Book a live band from Patrick Tevlin Music
Spark up an event for your family, friends or clients with live party music!
bookings [at] Tevlin.ca